History: The Paducah site began operations in 1952 to produce low assay enriched uranium for use as commercial nuclear reactor fuel. In 1993 uranium enrichment operations were turned over to the United States Enrichment Corporation (USEC) as a result of the Energy Policy Act of 1992. Under USEC, production of enriched uranium for use in the United States and abroad continues today.
Current Mission: Now out of the enrichment business, DOE focuses its resources and efforts on environmental restoration of the Paducah site, and managing waste generated from those activities, as well as waste generated during the period prior to the changes to USEC operations. DOE activities at this site include:
Budget: The PGDP site is funded by the DOE Environmental Management Program. The FY 1998 budget includes $27.9 million for environmental restoration, $16.1 million for waste management, and $15.1 million for enrichment facilities programs.
Employment: DOE's Environmental Management & Enrichment Facilities program, conducted by Lockheed Martin Energy Systems, Inc. for DOE, employees 491 people at the site. The uranium enrichment operation, managed by Lockheed Martin Utility Services, Inc. for USEC, employees 1,718 people at the site. There are a total of 2,209 employees.